Torrecuso

Torrecuso

... Paesello ove è tardo il cammino per l’erte pietrose e ardito l’ingegno, ove il gelo è precoce e tardivo l’invermigliarsi delle ciliegie, ove sul labbro dei popolani scorre lo epigramma e il vino ...

This town was first mentioned in the 11th century as “torum licusi”, originating from the word “torus” or “toronis” which means hill, representing the town setting, and from the diminutive “toriculus”, which then became “Terlicuso” and finally “Torrecuso”. No greek, etruscan or samnite ruin has been found in its territory or neighbouring areas, therefore its medioeval origin is quite certain. Town centre has definitely a medieval layout designed to defend Benevento, which was the feudal capital of the Lombard duchy at that time. In fact, there was a tower to provide protection to Benevento in that period; this tower than became a baronial palace, which also hosted Ferdinando I d’Aragona.

The Foenicolum bridge, dating back to Roman times, deserve mentioning; it allowed to cross the river Calore. Until the 13th century, there was also Fenocchio Castle, destroyed by the earthquake of 1349. It was a feudal domain of Fenocchio barony, then it passed to Della Leonessa, Caracciolo and Cito baronies. The town has always been an autonomous municipality and reached its maximum prosperity between 17th and 18th centuries, with a large civil class characterised by culture and honesty. Subsequently, the family Mellusi di Sant’Agata dè Goti settled there, and then became owner of the baronial palace, where Antonio Mellusi was born, who was defined as the “poet with the roots in Samnium”. The church of SS. Annunziata (14th century) is very beautiful, decorated with paintings of 1700 and 1800.

The altarpiece on the major altar is admirable. In this church the remains of San Vincenzo di Saragozza, a Spanish martyr, are preserved; his bones must have been brought there by the marquis Carlo Andrea Caracciolo.

Places to see

Chiesa di San Liberatore, Chiesa della santissima Annunziata, Eramo di Sant’Erasmo, Museo Enologico (scuola del Gusto) and historical centre.